Monday, November 14, 2016

Our Twins Birth Story

Our beautiful daughters, Madison Genevieve (left) and Charlotte Ann (right), were born on October 23rd at 11:36pm and 11:37pm, and weighed in at 3 lb. 6oz and 3 lb. 15 oz.

Their arrival was quite the surprise as I was scheduled for a C Section in the middle of November, at which point I would have been 37 weeks pregnant. The C Section was scheduled as one of the girls was breeched and both were experiencing IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction). Apparently our girls just didn't want to wait any longer!

To start at the beginning, we drove down to New Jersey that weekend for our friend's wedding. The wedding was on Saturday and we had such a blast! Everyone at the wedding was shocked that I had actually made it, given how pregnant I was. I'd said since the beginning that the girls had to stay inside me until after this wedding because there was no way I was missing it! Little did I know they were listening and taking me quite literally... 

On Sunday morning, we got up and started our drive home, making a pitstop in NYC to grab lunch with my sister. We got home around 5:30pm that evening and plopped down on the couch to watch the end of the Patriots game. Kyle fell asleep afterwards, so I decided to take a shower and start unpacking from the weekend.

Shortly after my shower, my water broke (at around 7:30pm). I was second guessing what had happened as I was in complete shock. I screamed for Kyle to get up (from the bathroom, may I add) because I thought my water had just broke. He scurried into the bathroom with a sleepy look on his face that instantly turned to terror!

I put a call into my doctor's office and while I waited for a call back, I googled "How do you know if your water broke?" Yes, I seriously googled it (mostly because I had also called my mom and she was of no help -- apparently, her water never broke naturally!). 

I finally heard back from the OB on call that night and after going through with him what happened, he told me to pack a bag and come into the hospital. Oh boy. Here we go!

Thankfully we hadn't unpacked from our weekend away, so we replaced some clothes with others, kept out toiletries the same, and headed to the hospital. On the way there, I began to have contractions. Damn... those HURT. They were coming every 3 to 4 minutes and all I could think was just please get us to the hospital asap!

After being admitted and hooked up to the monitors, at around 9 pm, the OB confirmed my water had broke and that I was 3 cm dilated. All I kept thinking was, "Oh my god, this is really happening." One of the babies was still breeched so I was going to have to deliver via a C Section. Thankfully I had not eaten anything in quite some time so we didn't have to delay the section all that long. Over the next two hours, while trying to breathe through contractions, I had multiple nurses, anesthesiologists, and a pediatrician come speak with me about what was going to happen during and post C Section. Honestly, during each conversation, I just wanted to say "I trust you to take care of me and my babies, so let's get this show on the road!" The pain was getting worse and my attention span was getting less and less. 

At around 11:15pm, I was wheeled into the OR room where I remember making a joke about how it didn't quite look like the ones on Greys Anatomy. This got quite a chuckle from all the nurses and doctors and seemed to break the ice quite nicely. First thing on the to do list was to get the spinal tap, which seriously, thank goodness for that spinal tap. Once it was administered, I immediately felt tingling in my legs and the pain from my contractions started to subside (PRAISE GOD). I did get the the serious shakes (not sure if this is from the anesthesia or just a common side effect of labor, but I do know it is common!) and was given three warm blankets, which were laid amongst my arms and chest. This definitely helped the shakes a bit.

Once I was all numb and fully prepped, they brought Kyle into the OR. I didn't even know when it all started, which I was happy about, as I had the nurses continuously talk to Kyle and I to keep us distracted from what was happening on the other side of the curtain. 

At 11:36pm, Maddy entered the world and one short minute later, Charley was born. Hearing their cries for the first time was the greatest thing in the world. I have never been so happy and so full of raw emotion in my entire life. Both Kyle and I couldn't stop crying! 

Given that the girls were born quite early (33.3 weeks), there were two teams (one for each baby) of pediatricians/nurses in the OR with us who were ready to take care of them. Kyle left my side to go see them and came back to report they were both doing great. Shortly after, the nurses brought the babies over to me so I could see them for the first time. I was just in complete shock and awe that we had created these two little girlies!

We love our little girls so much and are so thankful that they arrived safe and sound.

Given that they were born quite premature, they have been in the NICU for the last three weeks. I'm working on a post discussing our time in the NICU, so stay tuned! In the meantime, make sure to follow along with their progress over on Instagram

Xo, MacKenzie

1 comment:

  1. Oh so cute baby twins story. Mine also is a premature baby boy, 34 weeks. He weighed 4 pounds. Good to you because you didn't experienced hard labor. Mine is already 1 week of labor and really really painful. But, thank God that he is now good. Giving me a very good reason to live life happily. God bless to your baby twins. Surely, your family is so very happy to see them. And, also , don't forget to show their pictures here in your blog. Update their milestones here. And, for more baby needs or maternity needs, just shop online at