Wednesday, February 3, 2016

A Fitness Update!

Happy Hump Day!

Now that the first month of the year is behind us (still can't believe it's already February), I wanted to write an update on my Fitness Goals that I mentioned in this post. 2016 is the year I #getfit and thus far, I'm feeling pretty good about my resolution/goal! I'm already up to running 3 miles (WHICH IS HUGE FOR ME GUYS) and I'm aiming to reach 5 miles by the end of March. I hit a snafu a few weeks back, which is why I'm giving myself plenty of time to reach the next mile marker. 

I was SUPER excited after reaching 2 miles (without stopping)
Even more excited (and SUPER red in the face) after reaching 3 miles!
After running 3 miles one night, I went home and did my normal routine: ate dinner, showered, put Friends on and went to bed (SUCH an exciting life I lead). That same night, I woke up in the middle of the night and my left knee was throbbing in pain! It's been a little over two weeks since and I haven't been able to get back to running due to the pain, which is extremely frustrating. I know every success has its setbacks, but man, I was really getting into a running-groove and then BAM. Ugh. I finally went to the doctor yesterday to have it looked at and apparently it's very common for beginner runners to have "Runners Knee" (yes, that's apparently a thing). All I can do is take it easy, elevate my leg, and apply heat to my knee. My doctor also gave me some at-home exercises to do, which will ultimately help strength the ligaments around my knee, thereby making running a bit easier on my body. 



I also realized, after talking to many friends and my mom, who are all big runners, that I've been wearing the wrong sneakers this whole time!!! The sneakers I've been wearing (these Nike Free that are pictured above) are not meant for running and are more lifestyle/training sneakers, which don't provide enough support for the heavy impact running causes on your body. Sad to say, my hubby suspected this was part of the problem the whole time and I just didn't listen. Ugh, hate it when he's right! So, now I'm off to buy actual running sneakers (I tried these Nike ones on in-store and liked them, but I'm also toggling with getting a pair of Asics, which I've heard are the best! Any suggestions?) in hopes of this also helping with my little knee issue. 

Cutest sports bra I scooped up at TJ Maxx
Since running has been out of the picture these past few weeks, I've been focused more on walking uphill (inclines are easier on the knee) and weight training. I also did this 30 minute workout video at home over the weekend and it literally killed me guys (in a good way). I was SO sore for days (3 days to be exact). I could barely walk afterwards. The cardio parts of the video were a bit hard on my knee towards the end so I eased up when needed.  

Apologies for the ugly carpet at my gym. 

Needless to say, I've been really trying to remain active so that I don't lose my motivation! I can't lie, I'm really proud of myself. I have not stuck with a regimented workout routine since I was a competitive swimmer in high school. There have been SO many times over the last few years where I would start going to the gym a couple times a week and then I would fall off the bandwagon shortly after starting. This time around though, I've had more moral support, which I really think has contributed to my commitment. It also helps to have friends at work who literally force me to go to the gym even when I don't want to! 

At this point, I have definitely gotten over the hump of not wanting to go to the gym (that's the biggest part of it all, in my opinion). It's so easy to make excuses after a long day at work to just go home and put your feet up. Now, I actually look forward to going to the gym! I feel better physically and mentally, and I can't wait to continue on this ride to getting fit! 

Xo, MacKenzie   


*all photos via my Instagram account 


No comments:

Post a Comment