Saturday, March 2, 2013

A Day at the MET

One perk of living in NYC is that no matter where you are, there is SO much to do! You can simply step out your front door, turn left or right, and walk until you pass something that catches your eye. However, today I left my apartment and I knew exactly where I was going - to the Metropolitan Museum of Art! There were two exhibits I was dying to see and knew it would be the perfect weekend activity. 


Today was the first time I've ever been to the MET and I must say, I was in awe. Just standing outside on the steps is inspiring... sounds corny but it's really the truth. My first stop inside was the Matisse exhibit. I'm familiar with his work but I learned so much about him and his technique today... he truly was a pure talent.  The MET did a great job showcasing his work, not just hanging the art up so people can "Ooh" and "Aww" (which we all did plenty of) but it almost told a story of the different experiments he took with his work and they showcased side-by-side the many versions of his paintings that he continuously re-do. It was great to see his thought process showcased in physical form. 





... I was able to snap a few photos before I was told to stop by the lovely security guards... I just love the colors in the above paintings!

The second exhibit, which just opened a few days ago, was Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity.  I loved this exhibit as well, and not just because it incorporates my love for fashion and my favorite era, Impressionism. This exhibit also told a story of when Impressionism became quite popular, it wasn't just about the color pallet or techniques, but the art of showcasing real life and the modern men and women of the time. A part of this "real life" was fashion and how a certain dress or a suit can say so much. 


A few of my favorite quotes from painters and critics that were also showcased:






I've always been such a fan of Impressionism, it really is one of my favorite eras, but going beyond the paintings themselves, I loved the different take on it this exhibit showcased. I had such a lovely time and learned so much... I will definitely be going back to the MET soon! Also, a fun fact for my readers, if you are a Bank of America cardholder, you can receive free admission on weekends!! 

Today's OOTD: Black dress: Primark (old) // Scarf: Ann Taylor // Belt: my grandmothers

No comments:

Post a Comment